Saturday, December 29, 2012

Proverbs 25:11 Words...

The right word at the right time is like a custom-made piece of jewelry.


(I started this post a few years ago but for some reason I can't recall I didn't finish it. I decided to today...)

If there are any fashion conscious women reading I can almost hear you shouting an Amen here.
I have never really been fashion conscious until recently. I spent most of my life trying to hide and be invisible because I was uncomfortable with who I was. I thought everyone else was uncomfortable with me too. In time as my faith has grown I've realized that sometimes reality was hidden from me because of previous traumas. In the past few years it's gotten easier for me to see both the things I like about myself and the things I don't like and try to change them to reflect Christ more.

Back to the subject...
You can have a beautiful piece of jewelry hanging up in one of those fancy jewelry boxes, but if it doesn't match the style and occasion of the other pieces it's full beauty is lost. When an item is custom made it looks like it belongs - almost that you can't imagine it not being there because it matches all aspects of the personality and occasion.

Proverbs goal is to illustrate to us the differences between wise and foolish living. It reminds us of the importance of choices; Just because a word fits the occasion doesn't mean it's the best or wisest one to use. We want to live in a way that draws people to God. At times they may be behaving foolishly. Instead of rushing headfirst into confrontation I'm reminded of some of the things I read and learned in my class about creating a sense of togetherness in relationships. We don't want to speak as a superior talking down to another. We will seek for our words to show the truth in kind ways. We can speak truth with words that are ugly...or with words that are compassionate and understanding...these words are alluring and beautiful, like the well-planned jewelry to compliment an outfit.

To do this we must seek to thoughtfully and carefully pick out words, hoping to heal, love and motivate others, not harm and alienate them. This is something I'm seeking to work on. My recent stresses have lead to frustrations with my kids and I haven't responded as loving and graciously as I should, especially since they look to me as an example. Thankfully we're able to ask forgiveness and work towards more gracious, Christ-like words. It's never too late to acknowledge a struggle and seek to improve in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment