Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Calm me, O Lord, as You stilled the storm.
Still me, O Lord, keep me from harm.
Let all the tumult within me cease.
Enfold me, Lord in Your peace. Celtic Traditional


Wow - this is a timely quote! I am sure not just for me either. I know not many people are reading my posts - but if there were I bet we could list all the struggles everyone goes through at some time in their life and may be going through right now! (relationship issues with extended family, spouses, friends, co-workers, kids; finance issues like jobs, debt, medical bills; kid issues like their health, schooling, spiritual life; health issues we face or close family of friends; tensions in community groups like sport clubs, homeschool / PTA groups, churches, neighborhood watch and the list could go on. That doesn't even include each individiuals personal struggles with faith, sin and how to just get through monotonous days/ emotional days, etc.)

So many things cause stress, upset emotions and worries or fears. We are ALL tempted to look to those people and things that mean a lot to us to be a comfort and a rock in hard times. My favorite example of a strong, dependable one - and yet still gentle - is Samwise Gamgee in the LOTR trilogy. But in real life no one is so noble. Everyone lets us down. And it HURTS. It can take a wonderful day and ruin it. It can take a bad day and make it unbearable. Everything gets all jumbled up when we don't understand others actions. God created us to be relational. Because of sin ALL our relationships with others will be difficult and painful at times. The wounds from those encounters can run deep and shake us to the core at times. Yet while those relationships are fractured, our relationship with God was perfectly restored through Jesus. He IS always there and dependable with an unrelenting love - that completely touches our hearts where it needs to be.

How I wish I could crawl up on God's lap right now and cry while He holds me. How I've longed for a safe place during my life. Even when we don't feel it, when we can't see through our tears to cling to God - He is clinging to us. His power can calm us, protect us and reach through the hurt, the fears, the worries and bring us peace that somehow, someway, it will be ok. And one day - a day of indescribable joy - we'll meet Him

And the pain we've endured will fade away. We'll know peace and comfort and love for eternity! I can't even imagine what it will be like when our limited understanding of the peace of God turns into a greater knowledge and experience of His peace. It almost is enough to make one completely forget the current trials pressing in on all sides! Maybe it's time to go sit and think a little more about the joy that awaits ME in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment